Victorinox Swiss Army got its start in 1884 when Karl Elsener opened a cutlery shop in Ibach-Schwyz, Switzerland with the assistance of his mother, Victoria. In 1891, Karl began producing knives for the Swiss Army, which eventually became the Original Swiss Army Knife. Following the death of his mother in 1909, Elsener introduced the brand name Victoria and the iconinc Cross and Shield emblem became a registered trademark. The company name Victorinox is a combination of the name Victoria with an abbreviation of the French word inoxydable, which means rust-resistant steel. The Original Swiss Army Knife became available world-wide in 1945 and was a huge success. Today, Victorinox continues to stand for quality and ingenuity and remains one of the most popular knife manufacturers in the world.